The Online Team League is held on Bridge Base Online and is open to CBF members. This event is not sanctioned (i.e. no masterpoint awards).
Final – Flight A
Final – Flight B
Semi Final – Flight A
Semi Final – Flight B
Quarter Final – Flight A
Schedule and Scores – Round Robin
To access the schedule and scores as well as team rosters and BBO handles, please select one of the following:
(Please press F5 when the next page opens to ensure you have the most recent page.)
|Schedule and Scores||Team rosters and BBO handles|
|A – Division 1||Rosters and BBO|
|A – Division 2||Rosters and BBO|
|A – Division 3||Rosters and BBO|
|Convention Cards – BBO: Open|
|B – Division 1||Rosters and BBO|
|B – Division 2||Rosters and BBO|
|Convention Cards – BBO: Flight B|
(You may need to scroll between divisions and events by using the arrows beside the event name.)
How to set up a Team Match on BBO – see this document.
Entry Fees and Prizes
Team Entry Fee: $240 for Open, $180 for B and C.
Prizes for winning teams: CBF polo shirts
Teams will qualify for the playoffs as follows:
- In B (0-5000), the top 2 teams from each division will play a 40 board semi-final and final. (two 20 board segments for each).
The team finishing first in Division A will play the second place team from Division B and vice versa in the semi-final.
- In A, the top 2 teams from each division plus two wildcard teams from the 3rd place teams determined by the highest +/- ratio.
The quarter final match ups will be as follows. This has been designed to ensure that no team plays a team that they have previously played in the round robin:
- The team finishing first in the division that no wildcard teams come from will play WC2 (lowest +/- ratio). WC1 will play the first place team from the division they were not in. The remaining first place team will play the second place team from the other 2 divisions with the lowest +/- ratio. The other 2 second place teams will play.
- In the semi-final – winner of A1 plays winner of B1 match, the winner of C1 plays winner of 2nd place matches.
- Each segment of the playoff should take two weeks to complete.
In the event a multi-tie is reduced to two teams, the procedures for two team ties are applied.
- There is no carry over from the round robin stage.
- The play off rounds are 40 board matches that are played in two halves (20 boards each). Each half may be played on a different day.
- Each member of the team must play at least one half of each level of the playoffs to qualify for the next round and one half of the final match.
- In case of a tie at the end of a playoff match, the teams will play a 4-board playoff. If still tied at the end of the extra boards, continuing sets of extra 4 boards will be played until the tie is broken.
- The higher placing team will have seating rights in the second half of the match.
Results should be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There will be 4 divisions if there are sufficient entries: Open, B (under 5000 masterpoints), C (under 2000 masterpoints). Masterpoints as of August 2021.
- Round robin matches will be 20 Boards in length.
- WBF 20 point VP scale will be used.
- Each team can have a maximum of 8 players. If a team has fewer than 8 members , they may use a substitute.
- All participants must be CBF members and in good standing with the CBF.
- ACBL Open+ chart is allowed for the A, Open chart for the B and C. Please make sure each partnership has a card filled out and available on BBO. Each person is required to self-alert any bids requiring an alert.
- If a pair that uses a convention which requires defense is scheduled to play a match, the team captain is required to notify the other team’s captain at least 72 hours ahead of their match.
- CBF Zero Tolerance rules apply with respect to behaviour while playing and for all communications to do with the Online Team League, including emails.
- If a player is disconnected for any reason and is unable to rejoin the match within 15 minutes, the match is terminated unless the players agree to wait longer. If 15 or more boards have been compared then the result of the match is official, otherwise the complete match has to be rescheduled.
- A team which is deemed to forfeit a match shall score zero Victory Points for that match. The team winning the forfeited match will receive the greater score between: (a) 12 VP, (b) the teams average, and (c) the average score obtained by all the other opponents against the team in default.
- Substitution Rules:
– If needed, a team that has fewer than 8 members may use one substitute player for a match. The substitute must meet the criteria of the flight they are playing in.
– No substitution is allowed in the middle of a match.
– Substitutes may not play for more than one team and are not allowed in the playoffs.
– If a substitute is needed, the team captain must, before the match, email Ina Demme at email@example.com with the identity of the substitute.
– When entering the results, the team captain can select “substitute” for that player.
- The Round Robin will start mid October with the first match date the weekend of October 23/24, 2021.
- The draw and match schedules will be published shortly after the registration deadline.
- The default time for matches will be: Open Sundays 1pm, B Saturdays 5pm, C Sundays 4pm. All times are Eastern.
- Should one or both teams wish to play the match at a different time than originally scheduled, the two team captains will be responsible for agreeing on a new match time which ideally is earlier than the originally scheduled time for the match, but in no case later than 10 days after the originally scheduled time. If the match is scheduled after the original date, Ina Demme must be notified with the new date, otherwise a default will be entered.
- If one, or both teams, is unable to play a match by its originally scheduled time or are unable to reschedule within the period allowed, the team(s) will be considered in default and forfeit the match.
Round Robin Tie-Breaking Formula:
1. A two-way tie is broken in the following order
– All matches played will be scored on the basis of: WIN – 1 point; TIE – ½ point; LOSS – 0 points.
– The result of the match between the tied teams.
– A 5-board playoff between the tied teams. If still tied after five boards, continuing sets of five boards will be played until the tie is broken.
2. A multi-tie is broken by:
– All matches played will be scored on the basis of: WIN – 1 point; TIE – ½ point; LOSS – 0 points.
– Matches played between all tied teams will be scored on the basis of 2a).
– Victory Points of matches between all tied teams.
In the event a multi-tie is reduced in number by one of the foregoing steps, only the remaining teams should be considered in tie-breaking procedures for succeeding steps. In the event a multi-tie is reduced to two teams, the procedures for two team ties are applied.
Match Set Up
- The two team captains are responsible for agreeing on who will set up the match on BBO, and what parameters to use.
- There are no seating rights during the round robin. Ideally, when the match is set up, each captain should provide their line-up indicating who will be sitting EW and NS, and their BBO handles.
- If either captain is not happy with the seating arrangement, they can email Ina Demme (firstname.lastname@example.org) at least 12 hours before the match and she will randomly assign seats. (If Ina’s team is involved in the dispute she will forward the request to a CBF Board member).
Recommended Match Parameters
The following match set up parameters are the default even though the two captains may mutually agree to a different set up:
- Undos – not be allowed
- Kibitzers – not allowed
- Barometer scoring – Off/Unchecked. (so that play at each table is unaffected by the current score in the match).
Irregularities During Play
There will be no Directors for this event. If something happens during the match that you need recourse for:
- A situation where a scoring adjustment may be required — For example a bid that was not explained properly (please note that convention cards are required to be posted, so there should not be many of these complaints), hesitations (as this is an online event, please be careful about hesitation complaints. There are many reasons why a hesitation may happen online that have nothing to do with the actual bid) etc. Please email email@example.com and a players committee (Tournament Ruling Committee) will be created to consider the issue. A penalty of 3VPs may be charged for frivolous complaints.
- An ethics situation – please send a complete description to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Zero Tolerance – please email email@example.com.
You can refer to our Complaint Procedures here.
|2021-2022||Open Division: Yimei Cao – Kole Meng – Rose Hou – Yan Wang
B Division: Robert Pratt – Kevin Strangway – Ping Ding – Jane Fyfe
|2020-2021||Open Division: Uday Maitra – Terrence Rego – Uttam Gupta – Koushik Mukherjee – Soumalya Ghosh – Shubham Acharya
B Division: Ray Hornby – Marielle Brentnall – John Hindle – Gongwei He – Len Doerksen
C Division: Gloria Woloshyn – Marsha Kimelman – Michael Szestopalow – Gongwei He
|2019-2020||Open Division: Nader Hanna – John Rayner – Joan Eaton – Karen Cumpstone – John Carruthers – Martin Kirr|
|2018-2019||Open Division: 1/2 Gordon Campbell – Ian Findlay – Susan Culham – Peter Jones
1/2 Nader Hanna – John Rayner – Joan Eaton – Karen Cumpstone – Katie Thorpe – Martin Kirr
|2017-2018||Open Division: Trish Malazdrewicz – Gerardo Malazdrewicz – Bilgin Batman – Jim Mathers – John Gillespie – Carole Berry
Restricted Division: Susan Culham – Lorna McDonald – Rhonda Foster – Peter Jones
|2016-2017||Open Division: Boris Baran – Jim McAvoy – George Mittelman – Robert Lebi – Doug Fraser – Sandra Fraser – Fred Pollack – Kamel Fergani
0-2500 Division: Bryant Town – Andrew Speers – Jason Dufault – Gary Karst – David Johnson – Mike D’Aguiar
|2015-2016||Open Division: Trish Malazdrewicz – Gerardo Malazdrewicz – Jim Mathers – Bilgin Batman – James Kirby – Karl Hicks
Women Division: Sylvia Summers – Brenda Bryant – Pamela Nisbet – Linda Wynston – Hazel Wolpert – Barbara Saltsman
Webpage – Online Team League 2020-2021 / Details